14 December, 2012

Another two reads

Instead of posting individual reviews, I'm just going to do posts that list what I have finished recently. As I said before, I'm not sure where I'm going with the blog, but want to track my reading until the end of 2012 at least.

So recently I have finished:

Room - Emma Donoghue
It took me a bit to get use to the writing style of Donoghue, but once I got into the swing of it this book sucked me right in. Would love to see it made into a movie.

Yummy: The Last Days of a Southside Shorty - G Neri and Randy DuBurke
This graphic novel is based on the violent death of Robert "Yummy" Sandifer, an eleven year old Chicago gang member who shot and killed a young girl and then was hunted and killed by his own gang. It's confronting and it's heart breaking. Told through the eyes of one of Yummy's class mates, it's an attempt to make sense of the events that happened and how an eleven year old boy ends up a killer. Gut wrenching.