30 September, 2012

The Night Watch

Title: The Night Watch
Author: Sergei Lukyanenko
Series: The Night Watch Trilogy - Book 1
Genre: Fiction
Audience: Adult
Format: Personal copy

From Goodreads: Walking the streets of Moscow, indistinguishable from the rest of its population, are the Others. Possessors of supernatural powers and capable of entering the Twilight, a shadowy parallel world existing in parallel to our own, each Other owes allegiance either to the Dark or the Light. The "Night Watch," first book in the "Night Watch" trilogy, follows Anton, a young Other owing allegiance to the Light. As a Night Watch agent he must patrol the streets and metro of the city, protecting ordinary people from the vampires and magicians of the Dark. When he comes across Svetlana, a young woman under a powerful curse, and saves an unfledged Other, Egor, from vampires, he becomes involved in events that threaten the uneasy truce, and the whole city...

What I thought:  This was the only thing available to me when my Kindle died during our camping trip. I was devastated! Thankfully my husband had brought along a paper based series.
This series sounded intriguing - walking among humans are The Others. Some are Light (good), some are Dark (evil). There is a treaty between the two groups and the Night Watch monitors the Dark Others to ensure they stick to it.
This series is translated from Russian and unfortunately I think it loses something in that translation. Basically if I'd had any other option, I wouldn't have gone onto the second. However, it was all that was available so I went with it. 

DON'T FORGET TO COMMENT IN ORDER TO WIN AN EBOOK COPY OF CONNIE CORCORAN WILSON'S HELLFIRE AND DAMNATION II!

Today tell me about a book you had to read and didn't enjoy.