17 June, 2012

Ishmael and the Return of the Dugongs

Title: Ishmael and the Return of the Dugongs
Author: Michael Gerard Bauer
Genre: Fiction
Audience: Young Adult
Format: Book - library

From Goodreads: Scobie, Zorzotto, Prindabel, Kingsley and Leseur are back at St Daniel's for Year Ten. Ishmael is feeling confident that he is over the worst of Ishmael Leseur's syndrome and, with Barry Bagsley neutralised for the time being, is hoping for a smooth ride. Instead, it's a seriously gut-wrenching struggle against social humiliation on a scale undreamt of before when he and the Razzman discover girls. His world is now seriously changed, and suddenly Ishmael needs a list to help him make a phone call. Meanwhile their father plans a potentially embarrassing comeback with his old band the Dugongs.
 
What I thought: I love Ishmael. I can only hope my boy grows up to be as thoughtful and lovely as this fictional character. Not that he's perfect - no, he gets into his fair share of trouble, but he thinks about others, is a good friend and his heart is usually in the right place!
I feel a bit disjointed with this series because I read the last book first, something I just don't do! I did however, enjoy it just as much as the other two books. My saddest thought is Scobie, Zorzotto, Prindabel, Kinglsey and Leseur have now graduated high school and unless Bauer plans to follow them to university (unlikely I think) this is my last Ishmael book.

Challenges: Library Challenge