02 January, 2012

Quotable Quotes

 

 Sometimes when I am reading a book, I come across a quote that for some reason grabs me. It may simply be beautifully written or it speaks to me on a deeper level. I often think I must write that down! And now I want to share them. So every now and then, I will do a Quotable Quotes post featuring a passage from a book I am reading. If you would like to see all my Quotable Quotes, click here!

This quote comes from The Other Hand by Chris Cleave. Other's will know this book as Little Bee.

On the girl's brown legs there were many white scars. I was thinking, Do those scars cover the whole of you, like the stars and the moons on your dress? I thought that would be pretty too and I ask you right here to please to agree with me that a scar is never ugly. That is what the scar makers want us to think. But you and I, we must make an agreement to defy them. We must see all scars as beauty. Okay? This will be our secret. Because take it from me, a scar does not form on the dying. A scar means, "I survived."

I love this. I have always said my stretch marks from being pregnant were badges of honour - proof that I nurtured a child in my body for 9 months. Scars do mean survival - triumph over something or someone that tried to hurt or damage us. A badge that says I survived.

You can check out other quotable quotes here.