01 July, 2011

Children's Book Council 2011 Older Readers Shortlisted Books


So I have read and reviewed all 6 of the books on the Shortlist for Older Readers in the Children’s BookCouncil of Australia’s Book of the Year Awards. The six books are:


The winner and 2 Honour books will be announced on August 19. I remember when I was working as a teacher librarian, this was the beginning of a very exciting week. I would run all sorts of activities in the lead up to Book Week, including getting the children to judge who they thought would win and why. So, having read all of the older readers short listed books, here is who I think should win.

AND THE WINNER SHOULD BE:

About a Girl by Joanna Horniman

For me, this is the clear winner. Not only is it a well written story, the themes of depression and accepting difference are fantastic springboards for discussion. The main character is flawed, but is still a strong female character who is able to prove her ability to stand on her own, yet also realise when she needs to ask for help. An all round excellent book.

HONOUR BOOKS

Six Impossible Things by Fiona Wood

A book whose character shows great resilience and perseverance in the face of adversity. Not only is Six Impossible Things well written, it strikes a perfect balance between a light refreshing read with some real issues worth exploring.

The Piper’s Son by Melina Marchetta

I think Marchetta is a possible favourite to win the top gong. The Piper’s Son is yet another book this year with strong themes and excellent writing.

So that’s my two cents worth. I’ll be keeping an eye out on August 19 to see if the judges get it right!