24 April, 2011

The Union Quilters

Title: The Union Quilters
Author: Jennifer Chiaverini
Genre: Fiction
Series: Elm Creek Quilts
Audience: Adult
Format: Book - Library

Synopsis: Civil War has come to the United States. As the men of Waterford prepare to join up, the women do what they can to support them. Among their activities is making things to send to their men at the front, raising money to build the union hall and supporting each other as tragic news filters through. Who will survive, who will fall and what will be left at the end?

What I thought: This is the 16th book in the Elm Creek Quilts series. I've been waiting on this since October 2010 and was lucky enough to be the first person to get this from our library. While I enjoyed the book, it's definitely not one of my favourites in the series. There is a lot of focus on the Civil War and it's battles which while interesting, are not something I find myself too interested in. Previous books that focused on the early quilters in Elm Creek have been leading to this point and it will be interesting to see where the series goes from here. Not surprisingly, given this has just come out, there is no news on further books in the series. I'm sure there will be though, and I look forward to reading them.

Recommended for: those who are interested in Civil War history, quilting or have read the rest of the series.